Why Alicent hates Rhaenyra? one of the most critical aspects of the House of the Dragon series is the relationship between Alicent Hightower and Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen.
They were best friends when Rhaenyra’s mother, Aemma Arryn, was still alive.
When Aemma died, and King Viserys Targaryen married Alicent, things started going sideways for Rhaenyra and Alicent.
At first, after the marriage of Queen Alicent with Rhaenyra’s father, Viserys Rhaenyra had difficulties coping with the fact that her best friend is now her stepmother.
Eventually, she got over it and accepted Alicent as the QueenQueen.
But later in Episodes 4 and 5, things went further downhill for the two; hence Alicent’s father and the hand of king Otto Hightower informed her about Rhaenyra’s and Daemon’s relationship.
Later on, when Otto Hightower informed King Viserys, he was removed from the position at the hand of the King, one account of spreading false rumours about Rhaenyra.
After being removed as the Hand of the King and going away to his ancestral home Highgarden, Otto gave one final piece of advice to Queen Alicent: if the time comes and Rhaenyra becomes the Queen, she will compromise Alicent’s kids in order to secure her succession as the Queen of Seven Kingdoms.
Alicent and Rhaenyra’s relationship: Why Alicent hates Rhaenyra?
Alicent’s hatred towards Rhaenyra is developed over time, and several reasons exist.
The first one is that they were best friends earlier. But after Alicent married Rhaenyra’s father, King Viserys, and both had a son, Aegon II Targaryen, Rhaenyra started feeling awkward as she knew her succession would be challenged against Aegon II as he is King’s firstborn son.
The second reason was that when Daemon and Rhaenyra got involved romantically, and later on, when Daemon left Rhaenyra, leaving her hanging dry, and after returning to her chamber Ser Cristion got involved with Rhaenyra.
It ended up with Cole taking Rhaenyra’s maidenhood.
When Otto Hightower informed King Viserys about Rhaenyra and Daemon’s relations and based on their discussion when the King confronted Rhaenyra, she stated that she didn’t do anything of that sort.
Therefore, due to treason, Alicent’s father, Otto Hightower, was removed from the hand of the King.
But while moving away, Otto gave her daughter one final piece of advice: there is a high chance that Rhaenyra will compromise Alicent’s sons Aegon II Targaryen, Aemond Targaryen, and Daeron Targaryen to keep her succession safe.
So to keep her sons and daughters safe, she must choose a side now. Else it might surely put all of her children in jeopardy.
Later on, when Rhaenyra and Viserys were in Driftmark to propose the marriage between Rhaenyra and Laenor Valeryon.
Back in King’s landing in the courtyard, Larys Strong, son of the King’s new hand Lyonel Strong, further spreads the rumour about Rhaenyra to Alicent.
Larys tells to Alicent that her father was not wrong cause just after the night of the incident with Daemon and Rhaenyra, a moon tea potion was delivered from the King himself to Rhaenyra’s chamber to prevent the unwanted pregnancies.
This proves to Alicent that her father Otto Hightower was right Rhaenyra did couple with Daemon, and King also knows that very well.
So Alicent’s father was removed from the hand of the King with false charges and all because of Rhaenyra.
Later in Episode 6, to know whether Larys was correct or he was also spreading rumours, she questioned Ser Criston Cole to confirm the same, but Criston, without understanding the context or direction of the question from Alicent, said it was not Daemon but him who took Rhaenyra’s maidenhood.
Queen Alicent became sure that Rhaenyra couldn’t be trusted, so she started hating Rhaenyra.
Alicent realizes that Rhaenyra can’t be trusted as when she had asked her about her maidenhood, Rhaenyra lied to her, but now she has come to know the truth. Therefore she understood that Rhaenyra could easily compromise her and her sons if needed.
- House of the Dragons: Why Caraxes is Called The Blood Wyrm? and Who named Caraxes The Blood Wyrm?
- Who would Rhaenyra Targaryen marry in the House of the Dragons? Who was Rhaenyra Targaryen’s actual Lover?
- Caraxes, The Blood Wyrm: How strong is Caraxes Compared to the rest of the Dragons? And How did Caraxes die in the House of the Dragon?
- House of the Dragon: How does King Viserys die in the House of the Dragon?
- The House of the Dragon Episode 5: Who killed Dameon Targaryen’s wife, Rhea Royce? What happened at the Royal Wedding? Whom did Ser Criston Cole kill in the Royal Wedding and why? What happened to King Viserys?
- Why did Cristion Cole Kill Joffrey Lonmouth?
- Battle Above the God’s Eye: Did Daemon Targaryen and Aemond Targaryen die in the Battle Above the God’s Eye?
- House of the Dragon: Why did Daemon Targaryen kill Rhea Royce?
- What happens to Ser Criston Cole in the Dance of the Dragon? How did Criston Cole die?
- House of the Dragon: Why did Laena Velaryon kill herself? How did Laena Velaryon die in the book “The Song of Ice and Fire”?
- Why did Larys Strong kill Harwin Strong and Lord Lyonel Strong? Who killed Lord Lyonel Strong and Ser Harwin Strong in the book Fire and Blood?
- How many dragons were killed in Dance of Dragons? How many dragons survived the Dance of Dragons?